Contact me:

elainemadrid@att.net
elainemadrid.blogspot.com
(714) 865-9209 (cell)
dadasmama or Elaine Madrid (Pinterest)

Monday, January 26, 2009

My favorite stamps close at hand

Over the course of my first semester back in college, I found out that my compact desk did not fulfill all my needs. As you can see from the photo of my desk, my laptop sits on a slide-out shelf, and my office supplies are close at hand, but there is no place to spread out my papers, research books, etc., except on the floor. So after the semester ended, I rearranged my studio/office/study hall to accommodate another desk. We looked at Ikea, furniture stores, antique stores, etc. and I decided it would be a shame to spend a lot of money on a piece of furniture that would be covered with junk most of the time. I have a couple of favorite thrift stores that I try to hit at least twice a month so I drove past one of them after I had visited my storage unit, and voila! I found a sofa back table in a dark brown finish that had been $49 but was sitting on the sidewalk in front of the store, marked down to $15! SCORE! They didn't have anyone to help me carry it to my truck (who needs 'em), so once again the old lady had to schlep the treasure to her truck. The spring semester does not start until Feb 2 so I put the table in its new place of honor, and immediately it was covered with stuff, just as I expected. For your benefit, I cleared off the junk temporarily to show you one of my favorite "props" which I'm using to display some of my favorite companies' stamps: Invoke Arts, Paula Best, Claudia Rose, Meer Image, Viva Las Vegastamps, Stamper's Anonymous, Tim Holtz, Michael de Meng (SA images), Paper Moon, Paper Bag Studios, Leavenworth Jackson, etc. Funny, none of the Carmen's Veranda images made it to this "place of honor." Probably because they're all unmounted, or mounted on some piece of crap wood...anyway, I enjoy looking at them, they're handy, and it reminds me NOT to send naked envelopes when I mail letters to friends and family. BTW, the "prop" is an eyeglass display that I used to use to display the stamps of my large eyeglasses when I did them on wood...in the old days when I would have a 20' booth and lots of props, it was quite fetching...off to have lunch with Paula of RBBB who is visiting CA from Colorado to attend CHA.

No comments: