Contact me:

elainemadrid@att.net
elainemadrid.blogspot.com
(714) 865-9209 (cell)
dadasmama or Elaine Madrid (Pinterest)

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ta Ta Chronicle Number 4, February 9, 2010

It's time for eyebrow lessons.

Since I received my grandmother's abundant eyebrows as part of my family "hair" legacy, I never dreamed the day would come where I would need to draw in or even highlight my eyebrows. I can cover my stubbly head with hats and no one's the wiser, but your eyebrows frame your eyes and without brows AND eyelashes, my face is looking pretty pale...I did buy an eyebrow pencil and am doing my best with that, and I'm faithfully lining my eyes and using mascara on the remaining eyelashes (few enough to count), but I broke down yesterday and bought "bangs" at the beauty supply store to tuck under my hats and cover my receding brow line. I have two friends who are consummate eyebrow artists; Terry DiMarco and Jennifer DeLacy. I've always marvelled at their precision and now wish I had taken lessons...my efforts at eyebrow artistry fall far short of their prowess.

At my last appointment with the doctor I asked about the "return of the hair" and she indicated that three weeks after my last chemo session the hair, brows and eyelashes (and God knows what else) should begin to reappear. Apparently no one knows what to expect with the hair; since I had fine, salt and pepperish curly hair, I'm hanging in there for thick, blond, straight hair, but the doctor seems to think it will be white or gray...whatever...the hats are fine for winter but I'm looking forward to tossing my mane in the late spring and summer. I'm not really that hung up on the hair -- but I'm tired of looking like a newt even though I get lots of compliments on my hats during chemo.

Having my sixth BIG chemo session this Thursday, only two more of those to go, but am also having weekly "small" chemo sessions with one drug that I'll have until October. Different side effects, more fatigue, leg cramps (bought some Gatorade), but no nausea (yay) and now I know what to expect from the new drugs and have a new routine and meds to combat the effects. All in all, I've been very lucky. Still working one day a week, back in school for one class this semester, going to Albuquerque for the rubber stamp show the end of this month, so life is as normal as it can be...

When radiation treatments start in late April life will be a little different. Have those every day (5 days a week) for 7 weeks so my activities will be curtailed somewhat for daily appointments. No side effects expected other than more fatigue, but the "rules" are relaxed during radiation. I can have an occasional glass of wine, eat sushi and have my nails done -- woo hoo -- things I cannot do during chemo.

Many thanks to all for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers and just keeping in touch. I love you all.

No comments: